Tuesday 18 January 2011

My Julie

My Julie

I met My Julie nearly nine years ago and have spoken on the phone to her on nearly every day since. She is part of my soul.

My Julie is the bravest woman; the bravest person that I know. She was born Spina Bifida and thirty three years ago today lost a leg through Osteomyelitis. I won’t tell you her medical history; suffice it to say being born Spina Bifida and losing a leg have been the least of her struggles.

In addition to her health tribulations five and a half years ago Julie was prematurely widowed and instead of giving up as many in her position would have, she remained relentlessly independent until today, refusing hospitalisation or institutionalisation.

The pain that Julie endures has shocked many medical practitioners who have come into contact with her.

Tomorrow Julie will be given a life saving operation at the Nuffield Hospital in Oxford, the leading hospital in the country when dealing with infectious bone disease.

That operation will be a success and after several months recovering Julie will lead the pain free life that she deserves. I believe that, but I also believe that the good thoughts of my friends and the knowledge that people are thinking of her, will help her through the next hours – and will help me also.

If you have a God, or a faith or a simple belief in goodness and fair play please spare a thought for My Julie tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment